Constipation, is one of the health problems that we often face in our day to day life, due to our bad life style habits. A person suffering from constipation, not only feels uncomfortable but also can not focus on work. But it can be cure easily by following healthy lifestyle and diet. Are you suffering from constipation? If yes, then keep reading further.
Here we are going to share with you some effective food that can help you to get relief from constipation. I am also going to share with you some home remedies and drink recipes which will be really helpful in your constipation journey. But before that you should know that what is constipation? And how it occurs? So let me just answer these questions.
What is constipation?
Also Read– Antioxidants: Their Importance and Sources
Constipation is a state of health when a person feels difficulty during egestion. There can be few reason behind this condition. We call a person constipated when he / she will not be able to pass stool for maximum three days.
Reasons behind constipation
Constipation can be a result of dehydration, and bad food habits like eating junk food etc. But mainly it’s a case of dehydration, since the motion requires lubrication to pass. And if a person is dehydrated, he or she can feel constipated. Another reason of constipation is low fibre diet. If a person consumes very low fibre diet and has a lot of gaps during his or her meals, it can lead to constipation.
There are some food that we should avoid to eat during constipation. And some drinks might be helpful in constipation. Will talk about the drinks later. First let us know about food that aggregate constipation.
Foods that aggregate constipation
Constipation aggregates when a person consume almonds with its peel, rice, spicy food, and refined foods like pizza, burger that made up of unhealthy plain flour.
Now, let’s know about the effective food that can give relief in constipation.
5 effective food to relieve constipation naturally
- Water : As I said before, dehydration is the main cause of constipation. Lower water level in our body can create many health problems including constipation, bloating, diarrhoea etc. If a person drinks sufficient amount of water daily, then he or she will may not suffer almost 95% of such health problems.
- Pulses : Most beans, lentils or pulses, chickpeas are very high in fibre, which is a nutrient that promotes good digestion and thus can help in reduces constipation. Pulses is a must food to include in our daily diet.
- Oatmeal : Oats are loaded with fibre which allows more water to remain in the human waste product. Oatmeal can be your perfect breakfast that gives you many health benefits.
- Green vegetables : Green leafy Vegetables are best for digestion and for nutrition as well. They also provide a range of nutrients that are good for your digestive system. Among green vegetables, broccoli is a must try during constipation. Broccoli contains sulforaphane, a substance that may protect the gut and ease digestion.
- Clear soups : Clear soups are nutritious and easy to digest. They also add moisture to human waste, which can soften them, and make them easy to pass. Soups also can increase the water consumption of a person, resulting in a better water level in the body.
Ayurveda also suggest these two in powder form to get rid of constipation.
- Triphala : Due to it’s mild laxative property, it gently cleanses the colon and assist to get rid of constipation and bloating. It also has vata balancing properties.
- Isabgol or Psyllium husk : Psyllium is a form of fibre made from the husks of plantago ovata plant’s seeds. Psyllium helps in constipation, bloating, and weight loss also. Initially, it works by binding to partially digestive food that are passing from the stomach to the small intestine. It then helps in the absorption of water in human waste also. To use it in constipation:
Add 1 tsp of Isabgol in a glass of warm milk and drink it 30 minutes before you sleep at night.
It is very important to properly digest the food we eat. According to Ayurveda, more than 95% of health issues originate from the stomach. Along with healthy food, these are the recipes of two digestive drinks that help indigestion. Drink it, and let it work overnight. You will be amazed after seeing its results.
- Cumin water : This drink is very helpful to cure constipation. To make it, just while boiling water, add 1 tsp of cumin seeds. Let it boil until half of the water remains. Now just filter and drink it like tea. Best thing about it is one can consume it anytime. If you like, you can chew the remaining filtered cumin seeds.
- Asafoetida water : It helps in digestion as it increases blood flow in digestive system. Asafoetida is a spice that works like a medicine for weak digestive system. To prepare this drink:
Add 2 pinches of asafoetida in warm water and mix it well. Drink it 30 minutes before a meal.
Some home remedies to cure constipation :
- Take a pinch of turmeric powder with hot milk.
- Drink about 3 litres of water daily also relieves constipation.
- Milk and papaya when taken together may help in constipation.
- Take 3 to 4 rose petals with milk. It can be taken by anybody no matter what the age is.
- Empty stomach, in the morning, one can have a little bit of amla juice with warm water. ( this remedy is not applicable on those who are suffering from hyper acidity) .
Ultimate points to remember :
- Drink lots of water. Stay hydrated always.
- Eat healthy food. Must skip unhealthy and junk food.
- Keep a check on your lifestyle habits. Skip the unhealthy ones.
- Follow the remedies.
So that’s all. Please include the given food ideas in your diet specially those food which are full of fibre and water. Please do share your views about the article. Is it helpful or not?