Does sore throat trouble you?
Here, is what you need!
Sore throat is a painful, irritable, scratchy condition of the throat caused due to viral infection or an environment having dry air. You may experience pain while swallowing, fever, or chills while suffering from a sore throat. Although it is not a serious condition but may lead to severe ones. It is also known as Pharyngitis. It has two other types known as Tonsillitis and Laryngitis.
Let’s know about the causes of Sore throat first.
Causes of Sore Throat:
- Common Cold
- Influenza flu
- Strep throat ( Most Common after cold and flu)
- Dry air
- Chewing Tobacco
- Due to the contact of irritable chemicals.
- Stuck pieces of food
- Any type of throat Injury
- Gastroesophageal reflux acid ( GERD)
- Muscle strain of throat
- HIV infection
Symptoms of Sore Throat
Symptoms of Sore throat may vary according to the cause. Some of the symptoms are as follows:
- Pain in swallowing or talking, with scratchy sensation.
- Swallow glands of neck and jaw
- Red coloured swallow tonsils
- White patches or pus on your tonsils
- Muffled voice
- Running nosy
- Body ache
- Itchy nose and eyes
Sucking on cough drops can soothe your throat but may not be a permanent solution. Here are some home remedies to cure sore throat effectively.
Home Remedies for Sore Throat:
- Honey: Honey contains anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to reduce inflammation and pain. Honey is very beneficial for throat issues and also helps in rapid recovery. But, the question is how to use honey for sore throat, Right? So, here is your answer —
Take about half a cup of hot water, add 2 tsp. Honey in it. Mix it well and drink it slowly. One can consume this several times a day until the problem persists.
Note: Avoid this above-mentioned remedy, if the cause of your sore throat is acid reflux. Otherwise, can go with it.
2. ACV: Apple Cider Vinegar has antibacterial properties which soothe a sore throat and kill germs present inside the throat. It also forms a layer on the throat that prevents sticking germs to it. To use ACV for sore throat, all you need to do is:
Take half a cup of water, and add 2 Tbsp. Of Apple Cider Vinegar ( ACV) in it, mix it well. A Sip this drink slowly.
Note: Excess use of the above mentioned ACV remedy may cause damage to tooth enamel, as it is acidic.
- In a bowl, take 1 Tbsp. Of lemon juice and add half tsp. Of black pepper powder and salt in it. Give the mixture a great mix. Now, place this bowl in another large bowl of warm water. Consume this mixture 3 times a day when lukewarm only.
- In a glass of hot water, add 1 tsp. Of black pepper powder, 1 tsp. Of salt and 1 tsp. Of cinnamon powder. Mix them well and gargle with this drink twice a day.
Apart, from these home remedies there are some more ways to get rid of sort throat, like:
- Add about ¼ – ½ tsp. Of salt in about 8 ounces of warm water and gargle every one or two hours. This remedy is so effective that it is practised by most Indians. And the best part is, it has no side effects.
- If you are facing difficulty in swallowing, you can drink an icy cold drink, as it can numb your throat and may you feel relaxed a bit.
- Use a humidifier, if the cause of your sore throat is dry air.
- If acid reflux is the thing to blame for your sore throat you can go with Antacids.
- Turmeric: Yes! Turmeric contains everything that your body needs. It is beneficial for every organ of our body. One can use a pinch of turmeric in gargle water or can sip a cup of turmeric tea too. By the way, chamomile tea may work also.
- If your nose is clogged, you can use a Nasal decongestant.
- Keep a check on allergies. If you are not sure about it, go for a check-up.
Some Prevention Tips:
- Sleep: Take a good rest and make sure to have a tight sleep, as it can help you body to fight fatigue, in body pain and can strengthen your immune system.
- Stop Shouting: Shouting or talking too-loud loud voice may cause a sore throat, for some time. If you have one, give some rest to your throat by avoiding unnecessary talks.
- Elevate your head while sleeping.
- Toothbrush: If you are one of those, who suffer this sore throat problem quite often; then you must change your toothbrush frequently from y or from time to time. As the bristles s of the toothbrush can work as a taxi, to drop germs into your mouth and throat.
- Herbal tea: Herbal tea is one of the best choices while suffering from a sore throat. Apart from it, tea with honey, soup broth or just a glass of warm water can be helpful and beneficial too. Just sure the intake of warm liquids.
- To make you and your throat feel better, you can have a popsicle, hard candy ( menthol flavour especially), ice cream or lozenge, etc.
- No need to mention, wash your hands thoroughly and frequently.
- Avoid contact with such people who are already sick.
- Keep hygiene in your mind and around.
- Use alcohol-based sanitisers.
- Regularly clean your belongings to avoid any kind of contact with germs or viruses.
Although, sore throat can easily be treatable at home if it lasts for more than a week; one should consult with his/her doctor.
When to Consult a Doctor:
Go to the doctor when you have sire throat for more than a week with/ without symptoms like:
- Severe throat pain
- Strep throat
- Feeling pain while breathing and swallowing.
- Sore joints
- Difficulty in opening mouth
- High fever (more than 101 Fahrenheit or 38 degree Celsius).
- Blood in saliva
- Blood in Phlegm
- Unusual drooling
Although, sore throat is not a serious issue but may lead to a serious one, if left untreatable.
Fact: More than 13 million people suffer sore throat etc. year.